Stuffed Peppers with Ground Beef and Rice (Speca të Mbushura me Mish)
This delicious stuffing features ground beef, long-grain rice and green peppers.
- 8 medium green Italian peppers, seeds removed (bell or red peppers are also fine)
- 2 whole large tomatoes, hollow out the insides (for stuffing)
- 12 oz crushed tomatoes (for the sauce)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 1/2 cup long – grain rice
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- salt and pepper as needed
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic minced
Preheat oven on 400 degrees F. In a large deep skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and cook until softened. Add ground beef and cook by breaking the beef up with the spoon, until no longer pink. At this point stir in crushed tomatoes, rice, salt, pepper and 1 cup of water. Let it cook until all the juices are absorbed or the filling is thickened. Add dill and parsley and mix well. Stuff the peppers and place them on the baking dish (9 by 13 inch) coated with oil. Add the remaining filling around the peppers and drizzle with oil on top. Pour 2 cups of water in the baking pan for the rice and peppers to cook. Bake in the middle rack for about 1 – 1 ½ hours, until peppers riches a redush brown color. Serve with 1 slice crusted bread.