Oven Baked Chicken & Rice (Pilaf me Mish Pulë në Tavë)
- 3-4 pounds of chicken, divided in portions
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups hot water
- A pinch saffron
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Wash the chicken with cold water and cut in portions.
The rice is rinsed thoroughly before use by using a strainer to remove the starch.
Notes: Cooking this recipe in a ovenproof dish will allow you to easily move it from stove-top to oven. In this recipe I am using Le Creuset cast iron Dutch oven pot (12 inch wide).
- In a large deep skillet melt butter with olive oil. Season chicken with a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté until brown on all sides. Remove chicken and set aside.
- In the same skillet add onion and sauté in medium-low heat until golden and soft in texture. Add the rice and cook and stir until lightly toasted.
- Transfer chicken and rice mixture in a small baking dish. Pour hot water and spread the mixture and chicken evenly along the bottom of the baking dish. Season with salt, black pepper and pinch of saffron (saffron optional). Cover the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork to separate grain of rice.